Sunday, March 31, 2013

Total Body Heavy Lift

Today was my first day back in the gym with my trusty spotter AKA husband.  My husband is by far my favorite lifting partner.  (Well he's my favorite a lot of things!)  For the past 3 months he's had a different training schedule than me and I've been suffering from injuries.  We've both struggled with motivation and consistency.

Today though I felt our 'magic.'  It's amazing what having a great partner will do to reinvigorate a workout.  We chatted in the kitchen to develop our plan.  We had to compromise but it was a good one. We decided since we are going on vacation mid-week we would lift heavy today total body, then do boot camp style total body cardio rate workouts the rest of the week along with one cardio day.  (My argument is I didn't want to be sore on the plane.)

We finished our warm up and did a great program.  I'll include the program along with my weights below for those that are interested.  As always, these are my weights and I only lift this heavy with a spotter.  Make sure you're lifting safe and at your fitness level.

Warm up for 5 minutes on the elliptical then rhythmic limbering.

Chest press
Warm up with the bar 4 reps
1st set: 95#
2nd set: 105#
3rd set: 115#

I was ecstatic that I hit that 115 for my 3rd set.  That's where I ended 6 months ago and I've very proud that I haven't 'lost' any strength.  I can't wait to get some serious build on this month.

Seated Row
Warm up 4 push ups
3 sets: 180# 6 reps

I felt I could go up in weight here, I've done more than this as a previous max, but with my back injury I was going a bit easy on myself.  It was nice to have a spot watching my form.  No pain!  YAY!!

Straight Leg Dead Lift
3 sets: 135

Again, this is far from my max lift, but I'm still being aware of my lower back injury.  Again, no pain so I'm feeling confident!

Lat Pull Down
3 sets: 100# wide hand position

Again, I could have done more, but want to see how everything works with the back injury.  Right now I'm feeling confident and during next weeks total body heavy lift I'll go up in weight with confidence.

Bent Over Dumbbell Shoulder Fly
1st Set: 15#
2nd set 20#
3rd set 20#  (failed on the 5th rep, but took a 20 second recovery break and got my last rep.)

I've always struggled to develop my rear shoulders.  I have very strong delts but the are unbalanced. A goal for this training period is to equalize my front and rear delts.

I finished with a 15 minute HIIT style workout on the elliptical.  
3 minute warm up
2 minute RPE 7
3 minute RPE 5 
1 minute RPE 9
2 minute RPE 5
1 minute RPE 9
1 minute RPE 5
1 minute RPE 7
1 minute recovery cool down.

Stretch and plank


Overall it was a great day back in the gym with my favorite person.  We laughed a little and played a little.  It's nice to get a quick kiss or a high 5 after a good lift.  Likely others hate our little PDA moments but I could care less.  My husband and I are really lucky, we love each other, support each other, and have shared interests.  I'm totally proud to give him a quick peck after a good lift.  The weight room could use some love in it!!!

Much love to everyone and enjoy your holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment