Sunday, March 17, 2013

Snow Day Supper; Mediterranean Sirloin



Well we had an incredible first week in March.  It was beautiful!  The temps got up into the 50's and even the low 60's!  I was able to run 3 days without fear of slipping on ice or being soaked by the rain. Oskar had a wonderful time running with me and has turned into a pretty amazing running partner.



This was taken about a mile from my house going up a challenging hill.  (Challenging for me, cake for Oskar.)  I really have been enjoying running with my pup.  He has constant energy and willingness.  When I get tired or want to slow down or walk his boundless energy and enjoyment of the run keeps me smiling and running onward.

Unfortunately, the fickle weather turned and then next week we had temperatures below zero and over a foot of snow fell in one day!  We were snowed in at the house I had to use some creativity to come up with a healthy dinner to keep us on program.

I was lucky to have some lean sirloin in the freezer, some left over jarred kalamata olives and jar of roasted red peppers.  I also had a few bits of left over feta crumbles.  I pounded out the sirloin about a 1/4 inch thick.  I chopped up the olives peppers and combined with the cheese.  I then portioned out 3 strips of steak and rolled the cheese mixture into the steak curling up the edges and securing with a toothpick.  I seared the steak on high heat and then put it in a pre-heated oven to 350* for about 15 minutes.  The result was a really delicious easy to make meal that we enjoyed with some frozen peas and mashed sweet potato.

 

I'm super hopeful that the weather improves!  They say March comes in like a lion and leaves like a lamb.... I'm ready for some lamb weather!




No comments:

Post a Comment