Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Finding Inspiration

Finding inspiration can be tricky business.  Sometimes it's all around you and it feels impossible to keep up with all the opportunities.  Other times you have to dig deep, use discipline  and work through even if you feel less than inspired.  The other tricky bit with inspiration is that you can find it sometimes quite unexpectedly.

I've been working with my Serious Weight Loss Clinic since November of 2012.  I have a few long timers who have come back to the clinic over and over again and we've all formed a strong relationship.  Our relationship is based on respect, honesty, and time working towards the same goals.  We've had disappointments, successes, tears, and cheers.  Leading this group of women has been an honor for me.

One of my ladies came to me feeling quite poorly about herself, though everyone around her saw her inner strength and determination.  During the class she struggled to look at herself in the mirror, eat on track, and to find a sustainable balance between eating and exercise.  Overcoming multiple struggles, difficulties, and a low self image she has emerged a changed woman.

Every day to session she has worn dark, over sized clothing that as much hid her as covered her.  Often in the beginning she wouldn't make eye contact with me.  When I would see her outside of the class, her eyes would be downcast, and she hurried along as though she was avoiding being seen, hiding in plain sight.  The woman today, I almost don't recognize when I think of how she came to me.

Now she comes to session early, gives feedback, support, shares struggles and solutions with her classmates.  She shares recipes, resources, and laughs out loud. She makes eye contact with every person.  At the beginning of our time together she would apologized for having poor form or made an excuse if she made a choreography mis-step.  Not so today.  Today she just laughs and says "at least I'm moving right."  She encourages her classmates when one lags behind.  She accepts correction on form and adjusts immediately attempting to perfect her form and get the most from her workout.

She is an inspiration to me, she inspires me to develop new workouts, to give of myself, and to trust the process.  Nothing inspired me more then her last day in session with us.  Instead of the over sized men's t-shirt and baggy shorts, she wore a tank top.  She wore a tight hot pink tank that is a specialized workout garment.  She has given herself over to her new body and her new self identity.  She is investing in clothing to wear to the gym.  Her clothing investment isn't in dark drab easily to overlook colors.  She's wearing HOT pink, LOOK AT ME pink, she is walking in with her head held high and ready to participate in whatever the gym has.  Nothing could have inspired me more than that hot pink tank top.

Congratulations on your new confidence, on your new lifestyle, and your dedication to you!  It's been an honor to work with you.  You will continue to inspire me from now until forever.  Healthy lifestyle is medicine.  We get better when we live healthier.  I'm terribly sad to see you graduate, but I'm incredibly grateful for our time together.

With love,
Jen


1 comment:

  1. Reading this, crying like a baby, thank you so much Jen. You are an amazing trainer with endless compassion and heart. I thank you for walking this journey with me. So happy with the improved me (although I am not done yet, i am happy to know that i am on the right track) :) I couldn't have been so sucessful without you!

    ReplyDelete